March 18, 2018

All.The.Feels.

I should be working on chore charts and school assignments. But alas, I just don't have the motivation or energy to get that done. So I am writing a blog post instead. That's the wise, adult thing to do, right? (Ha! Ha!)

If you've seen my Facebook page this week then you know that this morning we celebrated some of the amazing things the Lord is doing in one of our ministries at church, Victory in Jesus. It is beautiful and humbling and convicting and amazing to watch the Lord work among those who have been trapped by addiction or who love someone who has been trapped by addiction. Y'all, the Lord is changing lives!

This morning we got to hear testimonies from four new brothers and sisters in Christ who met the Lord because of this ministry. The way the Lord reached down, answered prayers, and changed their lives is just amazing. Mind-blowing. Beautiful. Their lives aren't perfect and there are still hard days and difficult temptations, but the change is evident and real. It's exciting to watch the Lord work in such a real, evident way.

But, if I am honest, it's also heart-breaking to see all the ways the Lord has healed and changed these beautiful lives here on earth, but He didn't do that for Kevin. Kevin struggled so much with the shame and regret. The Lord didn't instantly remove cravings and temptations. Some days it's hard to see the joy in his death, even though I know deep down it was the only way to perfect, complete, never again struggling healing. As I sat listening today, I couldn't help but cry. And not a little cry. Totally my ugly cry. So glad I wasn't on stage!

This ministry started just weeks before Kevin passed away. I remember seeing information about it in the bulletin and praying that the Lord would give him to courage to attend. That didn't happen, but as I have joined this beautiful group each Sunday morning for Sunday School the last 6 months or so, I know it would have been so good for him. I don't know that it would have changed the ending to his earthly story, but he would have met people who understand. Who would walk alongside him knowing just what he was facing each day. It would have at least been some comfort for awhile.

I have watched this beautiful, loving, complete shift at our church since this ministry began. I remember sitting in our pastor's office in April 2015 after Kevin's first overdose and everyone there feeling so heartbroken and so at a loss of what to do. That's when I met James Bridges and began learning the truth of addiction. I don't know if it's true, but I'd like to think Kevin's life and struggle opened the eyes and hearts of my church family to this hard reality. I'd like to think his struggle provided more than just increasing my faith, but giving my church family the courage needed to reach out into this community and love hard as these beautiful people struggled and searched and relapsed and heard the Gospel. I'd like to think that by watching my God-loving man struggle with this very real issue, my church family saw the truth that many were trapped, Christian and non-believer alike, and they need our love and support to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

So, today, it was this ugly beautiful mixture of joy and pain and laughter and tears and excitement and regret. And celebrating a good, good God who is bigger than any addiction. If you are in Hannibal, join us this Sunday, March 25, to hear more testimonies of lives changed through the love and mercy and grace of God. You won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Note to the Precious Lives That Made Me a Mother

To my Gift Girl and Blessing Boy, There is so much I want to say and so much I want you to know. I've tried to start this letter more ...